Friday, October 11, 2013

Lil' Loom

My daughter and her friends are deeply immersed in the new rubber band bracelet craze. It reminds me of the wild silly band frenzy that everyone was into a few years back... with one huge exception. These promote creativity. Happy sigh. Children are the makers of these rubber band friendship bracelets, so of course- that makes me verry happy. The trend began with  Rainbow Loom which was created by a dad for his girls using simple materials he had around the house and dental bands. Awesome!

Right after we got the loom, my daughter's best friend came over with her own pocket invention. She had come up with it all by herself and the repurposed aspect had me jumping up and down! 
Just a wine cork, two pushpins, and rubber bands are all you need to create the fishtail bracelet!Since it's small and the first three letters of the inventor's name are L-I-L... I had to call it the Lil' Loom. No choice. I can see throwing some bands and the cork loom in your pocket and being set for a long drive or to take to a friend's house.

Last night was my first lesson (pictured below), so I am by no means an expert on the infinite variations that seem to be possible. I do know that a crochet hook made it easier for my grown-up fingers. 
I googled rubber band bracelets and was amazed at the billions of tutorials and YouTube videos available. I know just what we'll be making this weekend! Maybe you will be too...


Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Oh Uau! That is PRETTY cool. Too bad i Never saw Such bright colored Rubem bands here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the ones made for rainbow loom that you can get at about every craft store.

      Delete
  2. YEAH! So happy to see a smaller less plastic tool to make these addictive bracelets! Off to crack open a bottle of wine so B can use the cork tomorrow : )! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! My girl just received a bracelet from a friend and then I began noticing the multitude of them! Yes, you guessed what we will be doing! (Oh, I'm knitting ... which she is learning as well.) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter received a Rainbow Loom for her Birthday last month and we have been making bracelets in every colour! It's a very soothing craft and yes a crochet hook is mandatory if you ask me! ;o) My favourite colour combination at the moment is orange, black, purple and lime green for Halloween!
    Have a great weekend!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lil' loom is such a clever invention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how fast trends spread, esp. like you say when they are as creative as these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What tutorial did you use for making these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you end up making them? Do you have a tutorial? :) LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! How do you close the bracelet when you are done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most of the Kits will come with an "S" or a "C" clip to attach the ends

      Delete
  10. I saw this idea on Pinterest and it worked so well at day care! They thought I was super cool. Writing a blog about an adaptation I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is my adaption of your (well, Lil's) FANTASTIC idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Use a scrap piece from a piece of 2x4 wood and 2 nails. We did this at girl scout camp and the girls loved it. It was a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mooi en makkelijk

    ReplyDelete